A Charles II Antique English Silver Alms Dish

A Charles II Antique English Silver Alms Dish

London, 1684 by Robert Cooper
$65,000

Ask a Question

Ask a Question

*

*

*

*

Description

Engraved on the central boss with a coat of arms above the inscription "The Gift of Mary the Widdow of Anthony Smith to ye Parrish Church of St. Allhallows Hony Lane London Anno Dom. 1635".<br /><br />

All Hallows, Honey Lane was a parish church in London located at the north end of Honey Lane, a narrow street leading north from Cheapside, one of London's main shopping streets. The church was of medieval origin, being referred in 1279 as "All Hallows de Honilane". The building was destroyed in the Great Fire of LondonÊin 1666 and not rebuilt. Instead its parish, along with any silver that survived, was united with that of St. Mary-le-Bow.<br /><br />

St Mary-le-Bow is considered to be the second most important church in the City of London after St. Paul's Cathedral, so it was one of the first churches to be rebuilt after the Great Fire. It is famous both for its design by Sir Christopher Wren, and because, according to tradition, a true Cockney must be born within earshot of the sound of its "Bow Bells". A recording of these bells has been used on air by the BBC World Service since 1926.<br /><br />

In 1905 The Home Counties Magazine recorded this dish in the collection of St. Mary-le-Bow. It and another dish, both marked RC and dated 1694, were listed as being engraved with inscriptions recording earlier gifts to All Hallows Church. Following a well-known tradition, these pieces were undoubtedly made to commemorate presentation items that had been destroyed in the Great Fire.<br /><br />

St. Mary-le-Bow was heavily damaged during WWII and was not reconsecrated until 1961. It seems likely that this dish left the church's collection at that time.

Dimensions

Size Diameter: 15 in. (38.1 cm.)
Weight 35 oz. 18 dwt.
Stock No V9582

Share

Recently Viewed Items

You have no recently viewed product